Sunday, March 27, 2011

Samiee's photos from Holi fest 2011

This was the first year I have ever attended Holi fest at our local Krishna temple. I was amazing. Such a sense of peace when you are there among thousands of people throwing colored chalk Holi is a Hindu  celebration of the Colors of Unity & Brotherhood - an opportunity to forget all differences and indulge in unadulterated fun. It has traditionally been celebrated in high spirit without any distinction of cast, creed, color, race, status or sex. It is one occasion when sprinkling colored powder ('gulal') or colored water on each other breaks all barriers of discrimination so that everyone looks the same and universal brotherhood is reaffirmed.



Can you imagine thousands of people coming together to erase all social barriers to join in harmony?? If only everyday was like this.



My big brother couldn't wait to throw chalk in my face :) It was all in love of course.

Dirty mouth?

This was about 10-15 minutes AFTER the first color throw.  I attempted to wear a mask to keep from inhaling the chalk into my sensitive lungs.... It didn't help much as you can see the purple all around my mouth and nose.... I was blowing purple boogie for hours. So I escaped the crowed and took refuge on the side lines to watch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment